Each candidate must be proposed and seconded by members of at least three years’ standing who are not currently serving on the AGW committee. Membership is not by qualification alone and candidates must be known to proposers and seconders.
Please return completed applications for membership to the AGW Secretary whereupon the application will be considered by the committee.
Applications are considered on average three times a year.
There are two classes of membership with the AGW: Full membership and associate membership.
Full membership is open to professional writers on golf for whom, in the committee’s view, membership is needed for the execution of their job.
Associate membership is available to those not fulfilling the more strict criteria for full membership.
The committee reserves the right to decide which class of membership is appropriate in each case.
The committee meets usually during the week of the Masters, the week of the BMW PGA Championship and later in the year and, in recent years, during the season-ending DP World Tour Championship in Dubai, where each application will be considered.
If accepted, the candidate will be placed on the Supplementary List for a minimum of one year after which the candidate will be considered for membership by the committee.
The present joining fee is £50 and the annual subscription for full members is £50.
The subscription for associate members is £25.
The annual subscription is due on the first day of January each year.
Residents of the UK are encouraged by the committee to pay by standing order.
Any member more than three months in arrears shall automatically cease to be a member of the Association.
On reaching the age of 65, Full members will be exempt from paying any subscription.
- Upon being approved a member you will be presented with an AGW badge and a tie. The Secretary will forward these items to new members. The badge shall remain the property of the Association. Any member allowing any other person to use the badge shall be liable to expulsion from the Association.
- Full member will receive each year an AGW diary and AGW members handbook.
- Full members will be eligible to attend the AGW Annual Dinner held during Open Championship week and be afforded the opportunity to invite guests.
- The AGW currently conducts five golf outings a year and full membership affords access to the outings and the various trophies.
- As a full member you are eligible to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) held during Open Championship week.
- You will have access to the members-only section of the AGW website
- The Secretary offers a very regular email service providing general and tournament-related news along with details of AGW related functions, activities and golf outings.
- There is also the collective benefits for members as the AGW is always continuing to strive to improve the working lot of journalists. This can incude issues such as accreditation, basic working conditions, car parking, practice range access, and other matters that may arise.
- The AGW executive meets often with golfing bodies such as the European Tour, the R & A, Masters Media Committee and is regular contact with the USGA, PGA of America, LET, LPGA, various Golfing Unions and many other officials with regards to the various Majors, Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup and other important professional and amateur events on the golfing calendar.
- The AGW is also very proud to also work very closely with our Golf Writers of American Association (GWAA), Irish Golf Writers Association (IGWA) and Australian Golf Media Assocation (AGMA) colleagues to imrove all aspects in our work reporting on golf.
- Associate members will receive the AGW neck tie along with the annual AGW diary and AGW members handbook.
- Associate members are entitled to attend the Annual Dinner but not to bring guests except where otherwise approved by the Dinner Secretary.
- Associate members may play as guests in the Association’s golf competitions.
- However, Associate members are not able to attend the AGW’s AGM.
- Associate members will receive regular emails, newsletters and other information as similar to the information emailed to Full members.